Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Women's Conference

I had the opportunity to attend the Women's Broadcast last weekend with some friends of mine. It was very uplifting and comforting to be there and listen to the messages. One of the biggest things that struck me was a reminder of my calling as a mother, by Sis Thompson.
I didn't know much about her and found out that she had some goals that were not met. When she was a teenager she had some goals about motherhood. The only goal that she has been able to meet, was the goal of being an active member of the church. She hasn't married, thus she hasn't had any kids of her own either.
It made me realize that on those days that Savannah seems to be on my every nerve, and I get exasperated by her, I need to remind myself that this is what I wanted (to be a mother) when I was younger (which wasn't that long ago). I married later in life and I'm finding that I forget that all those years I was single, all I wanted was to be married and have babies. Well here I am, doing just that, so I must remember, this was and is a goal for me.
This week has actually been different for me. I have not let myself get frustrated with Savannah as I might've in the previous days, and find that I'm letting her be explorative and creative, and a tiny bit mischievous-even if it is a little bit at my cost! For example, she has watched me do dishes and has pushed over a little stool to the sink so that she can "help" me. Previously, I would keep her from doing so, cuz I know she'd make a bigger mess for me to clean up. These past few days, I've let her stand next to me playing with the dishes and the "baboos" (bubbles), enjoying the joy it gives her. Water gets all over her, me and the floor-oh well!!
What a huge blessing in our lives she is. She is learning so much each day, and it is marvelous to see the growth in her. I am constantly in amazement at her and in wonderment at how fast she's growing and missing those days when she was a baby in my arms.
What a wonderful opportunity it is for us mothers to spend time with our little ones, to teach them, care for them, and watch the fruits of our labors as they grow. I am so grateful for my husband, Jason, who works hard, and makes it possible for me to stay home with Savannah. He is so loving and patient with me. I love you Jason!!!
I love being a mother!!!! What a great calling we are given, to be mothers! I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for this opportunity. I know He lives and that Jesus Christ is our Savior. It brings me peace and happiness to know this.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

it is such a blessing to have an eternal companion and children. we are so lucky, and it is important to remember that (especially on frustrating days) :)

thanks for the reminder. :)

mommy said...

How true!

Silvia and Steven said...

Yes it really was a great reminder thanks Mandy! It is such a great blessing to be a Mother which is really really hard on those frustrating days.