Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Big Changes

1. Back to School
So I decided to go back to school. This time I'm going for an MA in Psychology. It sounds the most interesting to me and the most beneficial/useful for right now, when I am not planning to be employed for the next few years or so.

I initially thought of UOP, my Alumn, since I am already familiar with their online system. I applied online and got started. But then I figured, it wouldn't hurt if I researched some other universities. So I found out Grand Canyon University was less expensive! Since I've already got a boatload of Student Loans, the less I need to take out for this round-the better. At GCU, the grand total of tuition costs, is what one yr of the program at UOP would cost!!! So I opted for that one. So I applied online for their Psych program. Then a friend let me know about another Univ, American Public Univ. I'd never heard of it before, but I looked into it. Found out that their whole tuition cost the same as one yr at CGU!!! AND that it was less than half what it would cost at UOP!!!! Wowza! So in the end I applied to three Universities!!! LOL! Oh well.

The only thing about APU, is in order to enroll into the MA in Psych, I have to have an UG degree in Psych. If you don't then you need to take 3 pre-req courses to continue into the MA in Psych program. This means, I need to take these courses. Even then, all three of these (9 credits total) courses will cost the same as 1 (3 credit) course at UOP!!

Wow! I would only take courses again at UOP if I had a job at UOP, which would pay for my tuition.

So here I come APU!! Go...(whatever your mascot is!)

2. Moving to Buckeye, AZ

We are in the process of getting a house out in Buckeye. This is the final reason that led to me going back to school. I had thought of doing so, but I just hemmed and hawed at the idea. WELL, in order for our finances to handle the mortgage, we had to put one of our student loans in deferrment. Jason couldn't do it, cuz he's so close to being done wit his UG program, it was the best option for me to enroll for my Grad program.

I grew up in Buckeye, AZ and that's where most of my family is from. Of all 6 of us kids, my brother Mark and I are the only ones that live more than 15 min away from Buckeye. So moving back would be a great option for us, to be closer to family. Though, it'll be weird because it's been a long time since I lived near them. For most of my adult life (which is almost 2 decades!) I've lived out here, Mesa/Chandler/Tempe.

Once things get finalized with the house, I'll post pics of it. We've seen MANY MANY houses! We wanted to be sure that this house we picked out was the one we really liked and suited our needs the best.

This will be a very big change for all of us, as we've got LOTS and LOTS of friends we'll miss and won't get to see as often as we'd like. I'm sure though that we will make new friends and be able to spend more time with my family will be well worth it too!

No comments: